Tuesday, August 28, 2012

1st reflection?

I don't know if this would be really a reflection, but  today my thoughts went to teaching and thinking about how I teach, and what is my methodology? Am I succeeding in actually teaching in that my students are truely learning? How do I adapt my own teaching practices to each different level of student? It’s a bit hard because even with the best lesson plan, it might not work for one group of students as well as another. I do try to make contingency plans, if I have the time, but it seems like there is never enough, and I can’t' make four different lessons a week for one subject, it’s almost impossible.

Also, as I work at an international school we use American text books. We have the freedom to design our lessons, and use our own methodology. Aside from reading and language arts, I also teach science and social studies.  I think learning a language versus other subjects is a different ball game, for example with Science, how do you teach kids about different kinds of dirt, and make it interesting, without a lab, or even science kits? I can easily find activities related to social science, that are related to the lesson of the day, but science is more of a challenge. These are some things to start reflecting on over the next three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment